Monday, July 27, 2009

Who's Gone Run This Town Tonight...


Happiness is a subjective journey, like a double edged sword if you will. First off, happiness means something different from one person to the next so to categorize what happiness is would be almost impossible to do. I think the pursuit of this happiness is all based off of hype and that's where I am hear to say SSD!

Society has sold us on the fact that happiness IS almost soley based on having material possessions, but what about the person that has it all, but has no time to spend with loved ones? Or what about the person that makes millions, BUT HATES what he or she has to do in order to make that money? To me, happiness is doing something you love to do, PERIOD. I love being the person that's able to tell a story regardless if it is through a photo, verbally or through my writing. That's what makes ME happy.

To be honest, searching for happiness can make you become a manic depressive, i.e. extreme highs and lows. On one side, you feel happy to be able to set a goal and then accomplish that goal but on the other hand you're stressed constantly wondering when will it be your turn to shine from all the hard work you have put in. Eventually your confidence in your ability leads you to believe you are the best, or your failure will be your ultimate demise.

People say to me all the time I must be happy because of the life I live, and usually, I would respond no. I have heard I party like a star, hang out with stars, take pictures of stars, and I know some would die to be in my position, but that is also the selling dreams element of the industry, although I have never once claimed anything, except that by law I am Ivan S. Harris, the I.S.H., I do realize my job is full of glitz and glamor as well as hardships. As far as I'm concerned, I've already made it, just waiting on the Hype to arrive, late as usual. If you don't believe in yourself, who will? This is where the subjective part comes in. If happiness is subjective and art is definitely subjective then how can anyone proclaim what and who is the best at something.

To quote Rihanna in my new favorite song, "Life’s a game but it’s not fair, I break the rules so I don’t care, So I keep doing my own thing, Walking tall against the rain, Victory’s within the mile, almost there don’t give up now, Only thing that’s on my mind, Is who gon’ run this town tonight"

This song hits home for me and I believe it is HOT, so I know I could be biased and thats why I want your opinion.




*song supplied by www.5starhiphop.com

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your insight it's enlightening. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. i personally think this song is beautiful. most of the time, people dont really think about the meaning of the song, but in this case, people are forced to when rihanna boldy sings "lifes a game but its not fair...etc".

    personally, i think this song is very similar to "live your life" by rihanna featuring T.I. in terms of meaning.

    however, what differentiates this song is the sad/depressing tone, but yet powerful, almost angry... i really love this song. i cant stop singing it, listening to it! it just has this powerful edge and i dont think rihanna has done a song like this before.

    ReplyDelete