Tuesday, May 11, 2010

RIP Lena Horne 1917-2010

I still remember it like it was yesterday. Every Thursday night on NBC, millions of people around the world including myself would tune into The Cosby Show to see what antics 'Cliff, his wife Clair and the rest of the Huxtable family would get into.

From time to time Mr. Cosby would have special guest stars ranging from Stevie Wonder, to Adam Sandler to Robin Gives and Blair Underwood on the show.

But there was one particular time to this day that still stands out in my mind as one of the most breathtaking, beautiful, silence-the-room moments in history.

This beautiful woman I had no clue of was singing on my favorite show basically taking over, shining through the television like morning sunlight through the curtains.

So graceful, talented and striking, it was at that moment I learned who Lena Horne was. An amazing actress, activist and singer. Obviously at 5 years old I had no idea, but this particular time is when I learned what the word Icon really meant.

Before Mariah, before Beyonce, before Janet and I'll even go as far as Aretha, there was Mrs. Lena Horne. *In 1941, Horne was the first African-American performer to sign a long-term contact with a major movie studio, which was Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.

Sadly, it breaks my heart to say that Mrs. Lena Horne has passed away. *Mrs. Horne died Sunday, May 9 at 92 years old in New York City.

RIP Lena Horne 1917-2010

No comments:

Post a Comment