Thursday, March 4, 2010

Over...Its Far From Over...

"I know way too many people here right now that I didn't know last year, who the ___ are y'all. I swear it feels like the last few nights we been everywhere and back but, I just it can't remember at all, what am I doing? What am I doing, oh yeah, that's right I'm doing me, I'm doing me! I'm living life right now mayne and this what I'm doing 'till it's over, 'till it's over, but it's far from over."
-Over by Drake.

The irony of these lyrics is, I was just telling @thatdudejuelz two days ago, that I feel exactly like Drew Barrymore in 50 First Dates. Everyday he would ask me if I remembered "so and so" and my reply would always be the same, "ummm naw, who is that!?"

Basically, the night goes as follows: You meet new friends, party the hardest you've ever partied, and exchange numbers at the end of the night. On the very next day, you wake up like nothing happened ONLY to do it all over again with a totally new set of BEST friends never to call again...again.

Your original, elite circle of friends always stays the same, but those new people you just met tend to just kind of fade away. That is unless you run in to them more than twice, then maybe something might build.

By the lyrics from "Over", it seems like Drake is living that same life.
Okay. Enough of "the life"...Let's get to the point. Besides Dr. Dre's Detox album slated to drop 2000 and ummm...never, Drake's debut album "Thank Me Later" is probably the most anticipated album since, well probably The Carter III.
And we all remember how long C3 took to drop.

Now in no way am I comparing Drake to Dr. Dre or Lil Wayne, but let's be honest, the anticipation and the hype for the album to drop is most definitely there. As always SSD is dedicated to uncovering the truth and erasing the hype.

I have to be honest. I actually really like this song. Drake has dropped a million mixtape fillers and I will be the first to say, hey that song sucks, or that's hot. But "Over" is the epitome of finding success, hence I can relate to it and also I just like the beat. It's that simple.

Is it the greatest song ever? NO. Will this single do Michael Jackson's Thriller sales? No. Within this day and age of music, artists put so much material out, its almost hard to set a scale of what's actually good material or what should truly be labeled as garbage.
After all, music is art and art is subjective so who is to judge whether the material is good or bad? You are correct. Everyone!

With that said, I present the debut single from Drake's album Thank Me Later, called Over.


No comments:

Post a Comment