Monday, March 8, 2010

The New Boyz Have Everybody Jerkin...

My scope of hip-hop flows throughout the realization that timbs, baggy jeans, black hoodies, button-ups, Air Jordan jerseys and shoes, first down puffy coats as well as anything else that Jay-Z, Busta Rhymes, Diddy, Nas, The L.O.X., Snoop Dogg and the rest of the 90's bred crew said was cool.

To be honest and for the life of me, now as an adult I can't fathom this new school era of hip-hop. Skinny jeans, tight fitted shirts, bright Colored neon-esk hoodies, wearing sneakers OTHER than a pair of Jordans is just something too far off.

To me, this new so-called hip-hop lifestyle is preposterous and I can't help but think that 2Pac, Biggie Smalls, Big L and Easy E would rot in their grave if they saw what hip-hop has become.

I have to throw an SSD flag on myself and everyone else that feels this way. When I think back, I know that in my heart I was a b-boy, so growing up, of course I used to pop and lock, break dance, kid n play, Tom & Jerry and all the other hip hop dances straight to the beat. (Honestly, if the DJ is REALLY good, I still won't hesitate to break out my trusty two-step.)

As I have grown into adulthood, my maturity tells me that hip-hop's main principles were founded on dancing, being a rebel against the times, and staying true to yourself by saying and doing what you feel!

Clearly, this is what the new school era of hip-hop is doing. Ahhh, wait a minute?? That sounds familiar, I think this is the same mentality the New Boyz has embraced taking a page out of the old school book and making it their own.

I'm also smart enough to know that we were all kids once (some of you still are now) so I have to acknowledge what the kids like these days if I can truly call myself a hip-hop head.

I mean, my scope of hip hop is different from that of the older purists that listened to Rakim, Afrika Bambaataa, Kurtis Blow and the rest of the 80's pioneer crew. I remember how they used to rap and how they looked at my generation like we were the weird ones!

The sign of the times always changes but seems to stay the same. The older generation will always criticize the new generation saying its not THE right way to do something... It happens all the time.

The old school Jazz heads say Blues singers "wasn't rocking it right." Soul singers used to say "in my day we used to SAAANG" and these new R&B singers ain't rocking it right.

Taking this knowledge, I'm gonna stop hating and embrace the new school as it is STILL a part of me, just as I am a part of the old school.

Real talk, I hate when my dad says my music isn't real music, it is real music because its music to me. Just like the new school music is music because it is MUSIC to them.

The New Boyz sure are new school in every aspect with the skinny jeans, bright colors and new dances such as "jerkin".

Either way there is something about an artist performing live that makes you either respect them more or throw their CD out with the trash.

At first, I was like I can't get with these new kids but after seeing them perform live, I definitely respect their hustle. They put on a great show and have energy that portrays passion and love for their perspective of hip-hop.

After all, it is a new era of hip-hop, but its still my favorite genre so I have to embrace it.

Not to mention, Jay-Z already said...We Off That and On To The Next so let's keep it moving!

(sidenote #2) I think it is funny that now, I am the old school head saying, Y'ALL ain't rocking it right...

...but honestly, you are, so keep doing your thang, new school.

Now, will I personally go out and buy some skinny jeans and yellow hoodie? Umm No! I'm 90's hip-hop style for life baby! Long Live, Pac, Jay, Nas & Big! lol


See New Boyz Photos...HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment