Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Nicki Minaj - Your Love (Official Video)

In order to be the best you have to keep trying even when you fail. Don't give upon your goals. Trial and error. That's what constitutes being a true artist. You have to keep trying to find your niche until your passion leads you to become successful.

Nicki's first attempt Massive Attack didn't quite hit the masses like she had hoped. The thing is if she had packed it up early, we would not have this new masterpiece Your Love for her second single which is actually the first female rapper song to go number 1 in 8 years*.

To be honest with you, I was not a fan of Nicki, only because the dirty rapper girl has been done before. I was thinking she should come with something unique and fresh. Low and behold, she switches it up a little and here we go!

What's interesting is Nicki Minaj wasn't even going to officially put this song out but you have to give the people what they want.

Obviously the people wanted to hear this song, so to drop Your Love for the second single was going to be nothing short of a success.

I am actually excited for Nicki because I like this song and the video is even a better jewel. It shows that she can be versatile, which makes for a great artist's longevity.

In the video, Nicki is a student with a crush on her teacher, but there is another student quite fond of the same teacher. Of course that student is the one person that stands in the way of Nicki's love.

Anyway, check out the video here.



*sidenote: If you didn't know by now I am also into samples, meaning I like to know where a songs influence originated from.

In my opinion, it was very smart of Nicki and her team to switch up her "In-Ya-Face-Sexuality" with a softer more feminine touch by using Annie Lennox's 1995 song No More I Love You's.

Like I said, versatility is great. Do BOTH!

Check out the original song if you're into understanding music like I am.

Annie Lennox - No More I Love You's

*credit and video courtesy of www.Mtv.com

No comments:

Post a Comment