Monday, January 18, 2010

The Perfect Definition...

In the last 24 hours I have to admit that there have been 2000 and "10" mixed emotions running through my mind simultaneously.

All of them have one thing in common dealing with the fact that I have been hoodwinked. I've been had. I've been took. I've been led astray, I've been run amuck. I have most definitely been BAMBOOZLED, but more so than all of that, I have been sold a dream.

For anyone that has EVER wondered what it means to "sell dreams", the 2009-10 San Diego Chargers season should sum everything up.

This super talented, super Charger team which arguably could have been the hottest team in the NFL (11 consecutive wins going into the playoffs) had the WHOLE country, (ME included) hyped up about finally being able to get over the hump to win a Superbowl and shut every 49Er's, Raiders, Jets, Steelers and Patriot fan up once and for all...

...choke, cough, cough, wait, not so fast, Not this year!

(coincidentally, these are the teams that OWN the Chargers time and time again by all holding something over the ailing team's head. Whether it be a championship ring or post season ending halt...yes, I SAID it, they OWN THE CHARGERS!! On a leash).

Now before I continue to dig deeper or poor salt on fresh wounds, I have a job to do which is report the events of popular culture including football woes.

Yes, its true, I am a Chargers fan, BECAUSE I moved to San Diego, so they became my new-found home team, and as I began establishing my photography career here, I met and worked with a lot of the players through events and charity work so it just became personal.

I also have close friends that are part of the organization, but like I said this is business. I love football first. I mean...I really love GOOD football. So excuse me for calling a spade a spade even it is throwing an SSD flag on a friend or my favorite football team.

I don't even know where to begin but for starters, can we say, Nate Kaeding chokes in the playoffs every SINGLE year. What I refuse to believe is how he was beaten by the Jets in the same fashion by single handedly missing clutch field goals in 2005 and again in 2010.

Of course there can be a lot of fingers to point and people to blame and I know fans, supporters and haters alike want to talk about bad coaching, players not performing and the offense/defense not being on point, but the end result is if you have an opportunity to be great and you choke, you will always be known as that. A Jo...ahem, Choke.

When the time comes, you have to step up and be great. No matter what the cost. I don't think anyone wants to be remembered as a Ray Finkle a.k.a Nate Kaeding. So you have to answer the call!

With that being said, my question to all of us trying to become somebody is, how do you want to be remembered? Like @iamdiddy says "Go be great!!!!".

Now that the season has come to a smashing halt, there are many questions that remain to be answered, including the infamous, "What's LT gonna do now" and of course "Is the championship contending run over?"

Also many of the Chargers star players become free agents this season so only time will tell.

I will say congrats to the Bolts for a great season and even though its cliche, there truly is always next season.

No comments:

Post a Comment