Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Breakfast, The Meal Of Champions?

In order to get your day off to a positive start most nutritionists believe eating a healthy breakfast in the morning will give your body the vitamins and energy needed to accomplish your goals. Breakfast is also supposed to be the most important meal of the day because its the first meal so logically eating breakfast makes sense because food is energy and breakfast is food so its the first boost of energy to keep you going until lunch or if you're a career on the go person, until that next snack to hold you over.

Now that we have the technical jargon and healthy mambo jumbo out of the way, let's get down to the real question at hand. Where is a great place to eat this most important meal? Although its an opinion, I believe the best place for this tasty breakfast would be in your own kitchen.
Cooking your own breakfast will do miracles for your pocketbook as well as your time management and the rolling-out-of-bed-to-eat convenience factor would be second to none. But, if you are not a master of gourmet proportions with kitchen utensils, short on time or just plain out as most Americans want to do, pay someone to do your labor, then there are a few places in San Diego I would definitely recommend.

Here at SSD, we are ALWAYS trying to find the latest hyped up product, person or concept to see if it is truly worth of the accolades and publicity that it receives. The latest to come across my path was an ad about a pancake house downtown. I have been seeing ads for this restaurant for quite some time. I'm even convinced that they own stock in all the media publications here because I see the ads in all the magazines, handouts and even pamphlets. I'm joking, but the advertising is clearly visible. The place I'm referring to is Richard Walker's Pancake House.

Out of every meal including the in between meals snacks, junk food and on-the-go pick me ups, I actually love breakfast the most, sort of a connoisseur of this continental meal, so I take my breakfast very seriously.

Recently, I was actually invited to breakfast by a friend and what do you know, the perfect opportunity to try a new breakfast spot came up. Richard Walker's Pancake house has a very comfortable bistro feel, sort of like an LA brunch spot. I liked the decor and definitely the service was very friendly. The menu offers a lot of colorful choices including waffles and french toast, but seeing as I was there strictly to erase the hype and uncover the truth, I pulled all the stops by ordering the Raisin Nut Flap Jacks with a custom made sausage and cheese omelet. Being a vegan, my friend Janelle order the Best Western with Cheese omelet minus the ham.

I do have to admit, my custom made omelet was not custom made which kind of put a damper on my spirits as I had to wait for my new omelet to arrive before being able to dive into the pancakes. (Honest mistake, no points deducted...lol). The Raisin Nut Flap Jack was indeed tasty and I would go back again just for the pancakes, but I'm not sure about the omelet because I didn't get to enjoy it and reheated eggs the next day just don't work no matter how you prepare them...Ha!

For me, RWPH overall experience was pretty cool. The prices are very reasonable especially for being downtown and the portions are huge, so believe me breakfast was served the next morning. As for Janelle, she really had a bad experience and would not recommend it again. So right now I am at odds end. You can read her review here.

No comments:

Post a Comment