Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Forever My Angel (01/16/1979 - 08/25/2001)

Music. The heart and soul of the human spirit. It controls peoples lives by brighten up your day, putting a damper on your mood, giving you the energy/motivation you need to focus or helping you get over a loss of a loved one.

Music can touch people miles away without ever having face to face interaction. Without a doubt some people feel the passion and and some people just don't get it. No matter what genre, certain artists have this Ora about them that make this addictive drug (music), contain some type of sedative making you completely helpless under their power; resistance is futile.

Being one of the biggest Michael Jackson fans, I used to wonder how people would just faint, pass out and fall faintly to the floor when they would see their favorite star. Because I was 4 when I went to The Jackson's Victory Tour, I couldn't understand for being so young, until it happened to me.

November 4Th 2008 election day, Madonna was right outside my friends 3rd story condo with that ORANGE glow that I have heard stories and read about. REAL TALK, I fell to the floor in disbelief that this person whom has created this powerful vibe of artistic beauty over her fans was right in front of my face.

Now I understand. The music already speaks to your soul, but to see the person that for years has fed your need and addiction in the flesh just adds to the silver platter. I could only imagine how I would react if I met Aaliyah.

I am a passionate person and music flows through my veins 365 days a year. I'm listening to Aaliyah's song Erica Kane right now while I am writing (Get Familiar). To Be honest, at any given time you will see me skipping to my own beat probably from the song I was listening to in order to wake up. I tend to go to sleep with music on and have to wake up to my soundtrack of melodies to my life. I guess I have an addiction.

It is true, I cannot function without hearing ANY given song in my head RIGHT at that moment: I need to hear it and everything else is on hold until the song plays, hence 400 gigs. Yes, by definition, I am addicted to music. I will not be able to accomplish anything until I hear that particular song I am yearning to hear. (which could be ANY, artist, year or genre.)

To further this addiction, certain artists happen to be my doctor and contain my prescription that at any moment needs to be filled at the drop of a dime.

Some artists that have taken over my melodic soul are Michael Jackson, 2Pac, Beyonce and Aaliyah. Aaliyah's music touched me because we were the same age and through her music she seemed so real, as if she was singing directly to ME. "If at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off and try again."

Without even seeing her face, this song was to Ivan, and there was no one that could tell me anything else. At age14, hearing Back and Forth for the first time featuring R. KELLY on it living in Chicagoland, KB (my best friend) and I rushed from school to go to the mall to purchase that single. I have been a fan ever since.

Although, I never got to meet her, I always felt a connection, of course through her music. On that detrimental Saturday August 25th, 2001, Aaliyah Dana Haughton passed away from a fatal Cessna private jet crash and the world lost an angel on Earth, but more importantly I lost my connection, my soul and my musical friend. Tears were shed, my soul was taken and my connection was cut off or was it?

The music! Through Aaliyah's music she would always be with me, just not near me, the SAME way it was in 1994. She recorded a song in New York and I received the song in Joliet! With that I say, Long Live our baby girl, Aaliyah. We will always love you and miss you. R.I.P.

Song of The Day...

No comments:

Post a Comment