Saturday, November 7, 2009

P Cubed...

Patience, Perseverance and Perseverance = P Cubed (P3). This is the equation for success and if you remember this, you will indeed achieve all of your goals.

What is sad is the media portrays people in the spotlight as if to say they became successful overnight. In reality the media/spotlight doesn't show all of the hard work that happens beforehand.

We see these images of celebs at their peak, but what we don't see are the beginning years and what it took for them to get to the top. After repeatedly hearing these "Cinderella" stories, if "the success" does not happen immediately, any particular person may become discouraged and give up right before the miracle happens.

My mom always used to say, "some jerk will take advantage of your hard work if you quit or don't keep working hard." That phrase sticks to my ribs and in my heart (Thanks Mom) so I keep striving, besides the fact that I was sold a dream on achieving my dreams, so I won't let all those teachers, friends and nay-sayers become liars.

Malcom Floyd, #80 San Diego Chargers wide receiver, is a perfect example of P Cubed. I remember meeting Floyd 4 years ago when I first moved to San Diego to pursue my dream of photography.

We were both "rookies" in our perspective fields, but it was something about Floyd that stood out to me. After meeting and working with many high-profile "celebrities", Floyd came across as very humble, very chill and always friendly person when we would cross paths.

After Chris Chambers was benched and eventually released due to his less than great performance, Floyd was given his opportunity and what an opportunity it was. By catching a 51 yard Bomb from Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers, Floyd solidified his starting position.

I know for most people, as the economy has struggled, so have people's desires, dreams, "needs" and "wants". I can honestly say, even I was dealing with the everyday woes of owning a business, following your dreams and wondering if the journey is worth it, but after seeing Floyd work hard, keep positive and follow his dreams, I had to say to myself as well as to everyone else, don't give up because you are only a 51 yard catch, 1 song, 1 photograph or 1 opportunity away from your dreams!

So keep working hard and in the immortal words of Sean "Diddy" Combs, "Can't Stop, Won't Stop, Don't Stop!!! Un uh!"

No comments:

Post a Comment