Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Lil Wayne ft. Drake - "Right Above It"

Watching an artist “come of age” is something somewhat new to me. At the age of 25, it seems like most, if not all of my favorite artists are years older than me and some of them have even passed away already. (Tupac Shakur, Bob Marley, and Proof from D-12… RIP) However, I’m intrigued with the fact that a select few artists who were my peers growing up are now coming of age right in front of my eyes.

It was 1999 and Cash Money Records was one of many record labels trying to make theirselves a staple in the Southern Rap Scene. One of Cash Money’s many attempts at scaling the large ladder of rap music success was the formation of the group “Hot Boyz” featuring BG, Turk, Juvenile, and a 17 year old rapper by the name of Lil’ Wayne.

For some reason, Lil’ Wayne was the only member of “The Hot Boyz” I really enjoyed listening to. Juvenile, BG, and Turk were just too platinum-grilled out for me and they seemed to be more influenced by making money, buying fancy cars, and partying with beautiful women, than actually looking at the rap game from the poetic point of view, the characteristic that fascinated me so much about the genre.

There was just something different about Wayne’s verses, he was essentially rapping about the same thing the other group members were, but his delivery wasn’t monotonous like theirs’, his rhymes weren’t elementary like Juvenile’s, and there was a certain passion you could almost feel every time he jumped on the mic.

There was a fire burning in this emcee’s eyes and he wasn’t going to let anybody put it out. Wayne eventually went on to sell over 2 million with his solo debut album “The Block Is Hot” and the rest is history, Lil’ Wayne is now an icon in the rap game, one of the most feared and respected rappers, his wordplay is epic and his freestyles are masterful.

Yes, occasionally he releases a corny track or two, “Prom Queen” and “Bad Girl,” come to mind, but he also releases classic albums like “Tha Carter 3,” and is one of the most talented lyricists of all time.

I feel the same way now about Drake as I did about Lil’ Wayne in the past, I just feel like for the time being, he’s still finding himself as an artist and has so much more to offer lyrically than he’s shown to date, offerings like “Paris Morton Music,” and his new cut with Lil Wayne himself “Right Above It“ prove his capability to story tell and throw in some creative metaphors.

On the other hand, I’m not too impressed with his overplayed and audotuned out “Over,” I know it was a hit single, but I was hoping for something less monotonous.

However, I understand club hits are needed to rake in sales in this day and age. Drake definitely has shown the potential on certain tracks, yet on others, he sticks to the money, fast cars, and materialistic aspects, when there is so much more he has to offer, he’s a great story teller, and the club bangers work for singles, but come on Drake give us some more!!!!!

I know you have it in you. I can’t wait for this young upcoming artist to progress in a positive direction, either that or become the new age Nelly. Either way, check out “Right Above It,” Lil’ Wayne ft. Drake, Wayne’s verses are nasty and Drake steps his game up. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your articles Sam. You may or may not care, but I too am a Lil' Wayne fan! Ha!

    ReplyDelete