Sunday, April 3, 2011

Album Of The Hour: Rolling Papers

By paraphrasing the immortal 2pac Shakur's voice, "The Realest I$H ever wrote", I have to say would be, "Don't judge a book by its cover."

The truth is that we as humans do this very thing, often. Whether its someone with tatoos, someone with a bald head, someone with dark skin, someone with blonde hair, someone with dreads or someone wearing less than appealing clothing, we all make pre-judgements based on previous experiences.

I am not excluded from this human flaw as I made a pre-judgement on what happens to be my favorite cd of the moment now. I have to admit, I was hesitant to listen to Wiz Khalifa's new cd Rolling Papers for numerous reasons.

For one, prior to hearing the album, I was not a fan and only liked ONE song of his "Never Been", a ride and chill type of song you can put on while cruising the streets around 9pm in summer time right after a hot day. I love songs like that. Come to find out that is the vibe of the entire album which appeals to me.

Don't get me wrong, I like krunk music and I also like the smooth-it-out sounds, but when it comes to having music versatility, I need the in between as well which is right where Wiz Khalifas album Rolling Papers fits in.

This album Rolling Papers is the type of album where the beats just flow and you can reflect on a hard day and enjoy the breezy summer night. (These days are quickly approaching by the way).

For me personally, the irony of this particular album is that I don't drink or smoke at all which you would think from the title alone is all that Mr. Wiz raps about, but in reality the album is a bit more deeper.

As an photographic artist myself working my way up the ladder of success, I can relate to songs on this album such as Top Floor, Rooftop, Star of The Show, When I'm Gone and Hopes and Dreams which dont talk about so much drinking and smoking but more of having a dream, working towards the dream and then the after affects of acheiving the goal at hand. I always can relate to anyone that works hard and parties hard, or else why are we here?

No comments:

Post a Comment